Our students in Year 9 are coming to the end of their studies in Key Stage 3 and now it is time for them to prepare for their choices for the next stage of their education.
In just two years from now their GCSEs will be almost upon them and now is the time to decide what they would like to study for in Years 10 and 11.
In order to help with this process, we are launching the Year 9 Options process this week with assemblies for students and a meeting for parents/carers. This is a chance for students to find out what they need to know to make good choices for the short-term future and to make the best of their time at Heart of England.
Every student will be given a copy of the 2020 Year 9 Choices booklet (also available on line) which is full of information about the process and includes a list of all the GCSE topics on offer and what each course entails: what they will study and how it will be assessed. It’s important to read it as it tells you exactly what that subject involves at GCSE.
The booklet contains tips about what to consider when making choices and which subjects are compulsory core subjects and which are options.
The whole process will happen over a few weeks and there are opportunities to discuss issues with staff and parents/carers. To assist decisions further, there will be a chance to experience some of the subject lessons on the taster day which will take place on Thursday 13 February.
This is a very exciting time for our Year 9 students to take the next steps towards their futures. Whether they are thinking of a particular career or imagining where they might go, this is an excellent time to take stock of what is out there!
- 2020 Year 9 Options Booklet: for detailed information about Year 9 Options
- 2020 Year 9 Options Form: for selecting the options you wish to take
- 2020 Year 9 Options Taster Day Form: to choose subjects for the Taster Day
- Monday 27-29 January: Options Launch Assembly
- Wednesday 29 January, 6.00pm or 7.00pm: Parents/Carers Options Launch Meeting
- Monday 3 February: Submission of Options Day choices
- Thursday 13 February: Options Day
- Thursday 5 March: Year 9 Parent/Teacher Consultation
- Wednesday 11 March: Deadline for submission of GCSE options
- March – May:
- Processing of options forms
- Consultation with individual students
- Final option choices confirmed
- May/June: Students informed of options choices
- September 2020: Courses commence