English is taught by a committed team of specialists in mixed ability groups. We provide an engaging, broad and rigorous diet that includes high quality literature and non-fiction texts. We aim to enhance students’ skills and equip them with knowledge which we re-visit regularly to help embed it.
We aim to ensure that all students make excellent progress by helping them to:
- Refine writing skills so that students are able to express themselves with precision and flair
- Build upon existing levels of accuracy with regard to spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Hone analytical skills so that students are able to use inference and deduction when reading, analysing and quoting from texts
- Improve confidence in oral skills so that our students are able to express themselves in an articulate and eloquent manner
- Read widely for pleasure: as well as having DEAR (Drop Everything And Read) in tutor time, we also devote 20 minutes a week to it in English lessons.
The Year 7 programme is:
- Flexible so that experienced staff can match work to the needs of their students
- Challenging so that students are engaged, inspired and encouraged to succeed.
- Progressive so that the building blocks of English are laid down in the first term and developed step by step throughout the year.
Our First Term’s Scheme is “Detectives”. We study a range of different crime fiction texts and learn how to be literary sleuths, digging for clues and seeking evidence in the depths of a stirring story!
Extra Curricular Opportunities:
- Poetry Competition: to be launched in September
- Debate Club: we meet weekly and debate the pressing issues of the day
- Book Club
- Theatre trips
Look out for termly reading recommendations
Mrs McLarnon and the English Team