Issue 37: 07.07.2023
Coming Up This Week…
Autumn Term Bus Passes: available for purchase from the 10 July
Sales for Autumn Term bus passes for Ridley’s 180,181 and 184 will be available to purchase on ParentPay from the 10 July at 5pm. If your child is joining Heart of England in September, please contact
Passes will be distributed during the first week of school in September. Students will be able to travel for the first two weeks without passes or until they have received their pass.
Rock ‘n’ Pop concert Thursday 13 July 7.00pm
Join us for performances by our talented students at the Open Mic Rock ‘n’ Pop event on 13 July. Tickets £3.00/£4.00 from TicketSource.
Summer Activities for Free School Meals Students
If your child attends a school in Solihull, from reception to Year 11, they could be taking part in a wide range of funded activities including a funded healthy lunch at various locations across the borough this summer. See poster for details…
New Writing Competition!
Write a 100 word mini-saga with the title Unsolved. Big prizes to be won! See Miss Goodwin (M 124) or Ms Heselden (M 126) for
more details. Closing date: 21 July.
Duke of Edinburgh’s Award – Bronze (current Year 9)
The launch for new DofE Bronze programme for 2023-24 starts on Monday 12 June. Key dates are as follows:
- Final applications, parental registration form and payment due: Monday 10 July
- Registration: w/b 17 July
- Training begins: Monday 11 September(7:30-9:00pm)
Any questions, please email Mr Nance (DofE Manager) – email@example.com
Balsall Common Lions: Helping Families
Student council will be running a collection during the last two weeks of term supporting Balsall Common Lions to help families over the Summer holidays. Student council will collect items from each tutor group during registration:
- Year 7 – tea/coffee/squash/hot chocolate
- Year 8 – sweet/savoury snacks
- Year 9 – toiletries/toilet roll/baby wipes
- Year 10 – rice/pasta/dried food
Thanks for your support with this, the Lions were blown away by the Easter Eggs we helped them with!
- KS3 sports opportunities in school with weekly lunch time and after school clubs led by professional coaches. Lunch time sessions are free, after school clubs available at a small cost. Anyone interested please see Mr Collins in H 120
- Wednesday – Year 8
- Thursday – Year 9
- Tennis Club: Tuesdays After School: Every Tuesday during summer term open to all from all years and all abilities. Come along and have some fun in the sun. Sessions end 4:45pm.
- Lunchtime and Afterschool External Sports Opportunities:
- Tuesday lunch: Basketball – Years 7/8
- Tuesday after school: Tennis – All years
- Wednesday after school: Athletics – All Years
- Wednesday after school: Indoor Football – Years 7/8/9
- Thursday lunch: Basketball – Years 9/10
- Thursday after school: Girls’ Tennis – Years 7/8/9
- Thursday after school: Rounders – All years
- Thursday after school: Cricket – All years
Years 10 and 11: Study and Revision Sessions
- Languages: additional support sessions for students in Year 10 and Year 11 until (until exams)
- Spanish: Tuesdays after school in H 022 15:25-16:10
- French: Monday lunchtimes (Week 1) & Wednesday lunch times (Week 2) in H 022 from 13:45-14:20 (can bring lunch)
- German: Tuesdays after-school in H 023 15:25-16:10
A reminder also that if you are part of the French Year 10 tutoring programme then you are also expected to attend on Tuesdays after-school in H 025 with Mrs Albans
From the Heart: Well-being Podcast
Check out our podcast discussions and meditations led by our Well-Being Practitioner Mrs Troughton is available from SoundCloud. New episode available on Monday.
Heart of England Poppy Project
Thinking quite ahead to November; you are invited to join in with some creative fun, whilst earning money for the British Legion – Make a poppy! Please send completed poppies into the school, care of Mrs Ashraf. If any students want help starting off, they can come to the Wednesday Chess/Crochet club in M 201.