Issue 26: 31.03.2023
Coming Up This Week…
Spring Break: 3 April-14 April
- 3 April-14 April. Back to school Monday 17 April. Calendar.
Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
- Gold Award: From Monday 3-Thursday 6 April Sixth Form Gold Award students are undertaking their Practice Expedition in the Wye Valley.
- Silver Award: From Tuesday 4-Thursday 6 April Year 11 Silver Award students are undertaking their Practice Expedition in the Forest of Dean.
Coming Up First Week After Easter…
Years 7, 8 and 9 Creative Writing Competition: Deadline Wednesday 19 April
After our inspiring author visit from Lauren James, I’m sure many of you are keen to get creative and write-up some of the ideas you had in the workshop. You don’t have to have been part of this workshop to enter. Task: Write a short story that uses science within its plot. Prizes include a copy of Lauren James’ new book, some goodies, and a £10 Amazon Voucher. Happy Writing! For more information, see Miss Goodwin in M 124 at break or lunch time. Lauren James visit blog post…
Year 10 Prefect Applications are Open
An opportunity for students wishing to make a valuable contribution to school life, represent our school and add to their CV by being a prefect. Read the job description here and see if it’s for you and then apply using the online application form. Deadline: Friday 28 April 12.00pm and interviews week beginning 15 May 2023.
New lunch and break menus will be available from out catering service after Easter. PDF version available here.
Any uniform donations will be gratefully received by school. Drop off any donations to the Finance office( M 102).
Easter Eggs for Young Carers: Thank You!
We collected 33 eggs for the Balsall Common Lions Easter Egg donations for the 700 plus young carers in Solihull. The Lions were overwhelmed by the students’ effort and kindness. Thank you to all who contributed – a great effort.
New Bus Passes: 180, 181 & 184
Old and new passes will be valid this week and the first week back after Easter.
A new opportunity for all KS3 students keen to play more sport in school with weekly lunchtime and or afterschool clubs led by professional coaches. Lunchtime sessions are free, afterschool clubs will be available at a small cost – details to follow. Sessions involve a variety of activities including ball games and racket sports. Anyone interested please see Mr Collins in H 120
- Wednesday – Year 8
- Thursday – Year 9
Lunchtime and After School External Sports Opportunities
- Tuesday Lunchtime: Year 7/8 Basketball
- Tuesday Afterschool: Year 8 Boys’ Indoor Football (trainers and shinpads required)
- Thursday Lunchtime: Year 9/10 Basketball
- Thursday Afterschool: All years girls’ Indoor Football (trainers and shinpads required)
Years 10 and 11: Study and Revision Sessions
- History: Wednesdays after school in M 115 from 15:30 to 16:30
- Languages: additional support sessions for students in Year 10 and particularly Year 11 until the Year 11 exams
- Spanish: Tuesdays after school in H 022 from 15:25-16:10
- French: Monday lunchtimes (Week 1) & Wednesday lunch times (Week 2) in H 022 from 13:45-14:20 (can bring lunch)
- German: Tuesdays after-school in H 023 from 15:25-16:10
A reminder also that if you are part of the French Year 10 tutoring programme then you are also expected to attend on Tuesdays after-school in H 025 with Mrs Albans
- English Afterschool Sessions: With exams fast approaching, teachers are keen to help support you in your revision and are running sessions starting first week after Half-Term. We will go through gaps in your learning and model how to best revise at home. Parents/carers have been sent letters about these sessions. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Maths Revision Sessions:
- Tuesday after school: Mrs Winiecka (Higher) H121
- Weds lunchtime: Ms Hamilton (Higher) H 118, Mr Collins (Higher 7-9) H120
- Weds after school: Mrs Hetherton (Higher 7-9) H120
- Weds after school: Mrs Winiecka (Foundation) H121
- Thurs after school: Dr Pascal (Higher) H112
All students were given 2 Past Papers (June 2018) (Easter Homework) to complete over Easter Holidays.
- Religious Studies revision sessions – All Years Welcome:
- Tuesdays, 3.30-4.30pm: Ms Whittock M 027. Focus for next session – Christian beliefs and teachings
Year 13 Maths Revision
- Tues before school: Mr Collins H 120
- Friday after school: Week 1 Dr Pascal (H 112), Week 2 Mrs Winiecka (H 120)