Issue 19: 03.02.2023
Coming Up This Week…
Sixth Form Interviews for Year 11 Candidates
Interviews continue this week for Year 11 candidates applying for Sixth Form places at Heart of England School.
PTA Quiz: 10 February 7.00pm for 7.30pm
PTA Quiz on 10 February 7pm for 7.30pm start. Fish & Chips plus bar and Tuck Shop. Tickets options from £2.50 to £10.80, available until Monday 6 February on the EventBrite website. Supporting PTA events helps with funding for things like winners’ waffles, student leadership training and a minibus tow bar to allow delivery of gold Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. Can’t come? Donate a raffle prize! Drop off donations at reception FAO Mrs Henton.
825 Bus Service: Boat Inn Bus Stop
825 Bus Service: The temporary Boat Inn Bus Stop will remain in place up to and including Friday 10 February. Arrangements beyond this date will be confirmed before Monday 13 February.
ID Card Requirement
Students must use their ID cards or fingerprint to purchase food. If you have bought a replacement card and are waiting to receive it, you will be able to buy food as normal. Any students without their ID cards with them will be served separately after those with cards. If your child needs a replacement card, you can purchase one on ParentPay and collect it from the Finance office M 102.
Year 9 Options
Year 9s have begun the process of choosing options for GCSE studies. Visit the Options pages for more information…
Year 12 Parents’/Carers’ Evening: 15 February from 4.00pm
Appointments from 4pm – 7pm. Slots are 6 minutes long and for shared classes with the teacher who carries responsibility for the class or teaches them most often. Bookings close 2.00pm on 15 February 2023. Pre-booking is required for this online event on SchoolCloud.
Half Term Break
- Monday 20 February to Friday 24 February 2023. Term Dates webpage
- Back on Monday 27 February
School Show: Legally Blonde: 7-9 March, 7.30pm
The school show this year is the musical Legally Blonde. Tickets from £4.50 available online only.
Professional Development Day: Wednesday 22 March 2023
- Professional Development Day – School Closed to Students
Years 10 and 11: Study and Revision Sessions
- Languages: additional support sessions for students in Year 10 and particularly Year 11 until the Year 11 exams.
- Spanish: Tuesdays after school in H 022 from 15:25-16:10
- French: Monday lunchtimes (Week 1) & Wednesday lunch times (Week 2) in H 022 from 13:45-14:20 (you may bring lunch)
- German: Tuesdays after-school in H 023 from 15:25-16:10
A reminder also that if you are part of the French Year 10 tutoring programme then you are also expected to attend on Tuesdays after-school in H 025 with Mrs Albans
- English Afterschool Sessions: Thursdays 3.30pm: The days are getting lighter, time to illuminate your understanding of English Literature. So visit Karimjee’s afterschool sessions on Thursdays. Family poems and/or Macbeth to start with. Bring a snack. Let me know if there is something you really want to recap, ideally beforehand. Room M 217 30-4.30pmYear 12
- Language Club: COMING SOON! It’s back… Led by Mrs Rosero-Cortes and supported by MFL’s excellent prefects. For those who’d like to learn some phrases of different languages or want help with languages homework – you are all very willkommen! H 014 every Monday lunch time from 14:00.
- KS3 Book Club: KS3 Book Club is on Tuesday. Bring lunch and join us in M 124
- Poetry Club: an exciting Workshop opportunity run by the poet Matt Windle poetrywithpunch.com. 16 March at Balsall Common Library.