Issue 18: 27.01.2023
Coming Up This Week…
Sixth Form Interviews: From Monday 30 January
Interviews this week and next for Year 11 candidates applying for Sixth Form places at Heart of England School.
Year 9 Options Assembly: Monday 30 and Tuesday 31 January
Information for students selecting options for GCSE subjects in Year 10 and 11.
Year 9 Parents’/Carers’ Options Evening: Wednesday 1 February at 6pm or 7pm
Information about choices for Year 9 students for GCSE studies in Year 10 and 11. Choose from either time slot.
Industrial Action: 1 February 2023
As you may be aware the NEU (National Education Union) have announced that their membership has voted in favour of industrial action on Wednesday 1 February 2023.
Please read the letter emailed to parents/carers last week about this or download a copy of it from our website using the link below or by clicking the link in the red box on the school homepage.
PTA Quiz on 10 February 7pm for 7.30pm start. Fish & Chips plus bar. Tickets options from £2.50 to £10.80, available on the EventBrite website.
ID Card Requirement
Students must use their ID cards or fingerprint to purchase food. Any students without their ID cards with them will be served separately after those with cards. If your child needs a replacement card, you can purchase one on ParentPay and collect it from the Finance office M 102.
Half Term Break
- Monday 20 February to Friday 24 February 2023. Term Dates webpage
- Back on Monday 27 February
School Show: Legally Blonde: 7-9 March, 7.30pm
The school show this year is the musical Legally Blonde. Tickets available soon.
Professional Development Day: Wednesday 22 March 2023
- Professional Development Day – School Closed to Students
Years 10 and 11: Study and Revision Sessions
Languages: additional support sessions for students in Year 10 and particularly Year 11 until the Year 11 exams.
- Spanish: Tuesdays after school in H 022 from 15:25-16:10
- French: Monday lunchtimes (Week 1) & Wednesday lunch times (Week 2) in H 022 from 13:45-14:20 (you may bring lunch)
- German: Tuesdays after-school in H 023 from 15:25-16:10
A reminder also that if you are part of the French Year 10 tutoring programme then you are also expected to attend on Tuesdays after-school in H 025 with Mrs Albans
- English Afterschool Sessions: Thursdays 3.30pm: The days are getting lighter, time to illuminate your understanding of English Literature. So visit Karimjee’s afterschool sessions on Thursdays. Family poems and/or Macbeth to start with. Bring a snack. Let me know if there is something you really want to recap, ideally beforehand. Room M 217 30-4.30pm
Sixth Form student Lilla whose Volleyball club have made it to top 8 in the country after defeating Richmond, Amsten Grammar, Ashcom and BC Volleyball clubs by 2 sets to 0. They are in tier 1 gold group of the Grand Prix.
- Language Club: COMING SOON! It’s back… Led by Mrs Rosero-Cortes and supported by MFL’s excellent prefects. For those who’d like to learn some phrases of different languages or want help with languages homework – you are all very willkommen! H 014 every Monday lunch time from 14:00. Starts 30 January
- KS3 Book Club: KS3 Book Club is on Tuesday. Bring lunch and join us in M 124
- Poetry Club: an exciting Workshop opportunity run by the poet Matt Windle poetrywithpunch.com. 16 March at Balsall Common Library.