Issue 14: 16.12.2022
Coming Up Next Term: The First Week…
Professional Development Day: Change of Date (to Tuesday 3 January)
The Professional Development Day (INSET day) which was on 27 February 2023 has changed to Tuesday 3 January 2023. Please make a note of this change in your diaries as school will be closed to students on 3 January 2023. Website: Calendar Page
Sixth Form Applications Deadline: 3 January 2023
The Sixth Form applications will close on Tuesday 3 January 2023 at 8.00am. Visit the applications page for details and links to the application forms. Any queries regarding Academic issues please contact Mrs Theay, Head of Post-16 via email: TheayG@heart-england.co.uk.
Flu Nasal Vaccinations: Years 7, 8 and 9
The flu vaccinations for Year 7, 8, 9 will take place on: 4 January 2023. This is a painless nasal vaccination given as a spray squirted up each nostril.
Final Blog Post for 2022
Take a look at our latest blog post from the Principal Ms Hughes-Williams – Back in a New Way.
- Save the Day: PTA Quiz on 10 February 7pm for 7.30pm start. Fish & Chips plus bar. More details in the New Year.
- AGM: Wednesday 11 January. New members welcome. Option of being associate member as pair of helping hands rather than sit on the committee. Questions to PTA@Heart-england.co.uk
Looking After Yourself During the Winter Cold/Cough/Flu season
- Colds/coughs/flu/covid are spread by the respiratory route so good hygiene should be practised as standard everywhere
- Good respiratory hygiene – cover your nose and mouth with disposable tissues when coughing or sneezing and discard the tissues after use
- Good hand hygiene – after using the toilet and before eating as usual, but also after coughing and sneezing. Bring your own hand wipes into school to use during lessons
- Tell your parents/carers if you are feeling unwell, you may need medical care. Don’t share eating utensils, cups and glasses. Don’t share clothes either. Don’t touch any open or weeping wounds; they may contain the same bacteria
ID Card Requirement
All students must have an ID card. They are needed, to purchase food, collect printouts, open selective doors within school and for ID purposes. Please make sure your child has a card and brings it to school. Replacement cards can be purchased on ParentPay.
Winter Water Safety
Keep safe this season with advice from the Royal Life Saving Society:
Year 9 advanced notice
Year 9 assessment week is week beginning 23 January 2023. Individual subjects will let students know which day the assessment is. There will be more information from Mr Haston.
CERN Visit: 06-08 January 2023
- Sixth Form science visit to CERN in Geneva
Year 13 Parents’/Carers’ Evening: Tuesday 10 January 2023
Appointments from 4pm – 7pm. Slots are 6 minutes long and for shared classes with the teacher who carries responsibility for the class or teaches them most often. Bookings close 2.00pm on Monday 10 January 2023. Parents/Carers will need to prebook for this online event on SchoolCloud.
We wish you all a very Happy Christmas and New Year. See you all again for the start of the term on Wednesday 4 January.
A special supplement this week in celebration of the achievements and efforts of our students this term.
Music Exams Success – Congratulations all!
|Megan Year 9||Piano Grade 6|
|Evie Year 11||Piano Grade 8|
|Catherine Year 10||Guitar Grade 3|
|Nye Year 9||Piano Grade 4|
|Cody H Year 7||Piano Grade 3|
|Daniel J||Piano Grade 4|
|Bronwyn||Vocal Grade 8|
|Charlie H||Piano Grade 5|
- Year 7 shout out to our boys football team who are fighting off all competition and have reached the final 16 of the Birmingham Schools Cup!
- Year 7 have earned 45,887 merit points in the 63 days that have been at Heart of England
- 96% have earned over 100 merits
- 51% have earned over 200 merits Miss Lancaster and Mrs Yates are really proud of you all!
Well done to our top Year 8s Daniel G, Isobel K, Charlotte D, Jake B, Charlotte T, Andrew B, Chloe L and Nico P. They managed to get the most merits this term in their tutor groups, From Miss Walters and Mrs Holdgate
- Over 300 merits so far: Megan C, Layla D, Jessica R, Michalina W, Mahjebeen Y, Maddie P, Gianluca F, Fenton W.
- Nominated by tutors for core values: Ollie H, Casey H, Finley H, Mason S, Charlie P, Zach J.
- Big Well done to all the year 9s who have taken part in various Christmas Panto’s / productions both in and out of school this term. Special mention from Miss Lee and Miss Roberts for Jack S, Hannah Ns and Isabella W – you’re amazing!
Congratulation to Year 10s Stars of the Autumn Term – Charlotte J, Josh E, Rosie D, Evan M, Freya H, Sofia Z, Rohan H and Matilda
From Mrs Lydster and Mr Marnelakis
Mr Crawford & Mrs Greenaway would like to recognise our stars of the term!
- Huge congratulations and well done to: the Year 11 Band – Alfie, Evie H, Grace, Lydia and Poppy who performed for the Year 10 assembly and made Mrs Lydster’s year!
- Our Year 11 stars of the terms are Eloise A, Cat, Leeson, Chanel, Sophie J and Matthew C.
Well Done and and Happy Christmas!